Saturday 10 May 2008

Mum's the Word...

Tomorrow is Mother's Day. Well, to be more accurate, Mother's Day in Malaysia. This is fine if your mum is here in Malaysia, of course, but it gets quite complex and emotional if your mother lives in Spain.

That's because in Europe, Mother's Day is in March. Here in Malaysia it's in May. So, I get this annual emotional roller coaster ride every March, which usually goes like this, when my mother calls me on Mother's Day:

Me: Hi Mum! How are you? How's Dad (etc....)

Mum: (deflated): oh I'm OK. Feeling a bit tired. My back's hurting again (etc etc)....

Me: Oh dear! Sorry to hear that darling....

Mum: WHY DIDN'T YOU SEND ME A ****** MOTHER'S DAY CARD? YOU KNOW I LIKE TO RECEIVE MOTHER'S DAY CARDS ON MOTHER'S DAY.....

Me: (red faced): Oh I forgot. Only it's not Mother's Day here in Malaysia....

Mum: I DON'T CARE!!! THE LEAST YOU COULD DO IS SEND ME A CARD...BOOOO HOOOO (ETC ETC)...

And I have to painfully explain, once again, that seeing as it's March and Malaysian Mother's Day is in May, there are no cards in the shop and so how could I have sent her a card, etc etc etc....

Of course, I somewhat dramatise the above exchange. But I can't help feeling that this mis-match between the Mother's Days in Malaysia and Spain is causing considerable upsets for my dear Mum.

So tomorrow, I will make sure I send my mother the soft equivalent of a Mother's Day card, by calling her and sending her a nice SMS. I will give her an Intercontinental Hug over the phone. That's the least I can do...

Mind you, my mother shouldn't complain too much because at the end of the month, my wife and I are braving the long journey to Spain to visit my parents. It will be my first visit back to Europe since 2000, and my first trip out of Malaysia since 2002.

So my message to all of you on this Malaysian Mother's Day is this. Think of your mother, because she is the one who suffered pain and agony to bring you dripping and screaming into this world. You owe it to your mother, if she is still around, to give her a call, to tell her you love her and that you will come and see her soon. Better still, go and visit her and give her a big kiss and a hug.

There is in Islamic tradition a very apt saying by the Prophet Muhammad, to the effect of: "Paradise exists at the feet of mothers".

So, make sure your mum experiences the paradise of your love for her this Mother's Day. Even if it is just for just a short time...

No comments: