Sunday 15 June 2008

The Incredible Shrinking Holiday

In these financially straightened times, what with fuel price increases and water shortages, we have come to expect some measure of shrinkage in the value of our Ringgits, Pounds and Euros.

But there is another kind of reduction in real value that I didn’t expect: the unexpected and unexplained shrinking of our holiday!

This strange phenomenon came to my attention just a few days ago when I received an email from my Malaysian travel agents. We had originally intended to fly back to Malaysia on 22nd June, giving us three weeks and five days of sun-drenched Spanish jollity.

Well now, it seems, our holiday has been reduced to three weeks and four days. The reason? Our return flight to Brunei and Kuching had been cancelled. Just like that!

The explanation from the travel agent was - there was no explanation! Luckily for us, we had access to the Net and regularly check the email. Luckily for us, our travel agent re-booked our flight to Malaysia for 21st June. Unluckily for us, we had to re-book our flight from Alicante in Spain to London Gatwick, at considerable cost.

My guess is that Royal Brunei cancelled the flight because it was almost empty. And with the cost of fuel being so high, it would make more sense - to them anyway - to cancel the flight and move everyone to another day.

I will be giving the Royal Brunei check-in desk a verbal grilling of Hitlerian proportions when I get to Heathrow. I am not a number: I am a man!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear your about your shortened holiday. Strange things happen when the fuel goes up. Enjoy your remaining vacation time and don't be too hard on the airlines, just pray they won't reduced the number of safety inspection for the planes!! S