Monday 1 October 2007

And Lovin' It...

Now, I don't have a bad life, when all is said and done. Yet there comes a time, once in a while, when things just seem to stop being OK. And this is just what is happening at the moment.

They say that into each life a little rain must fall. Well, I'm getting a biblical shower right now. And my umbrella has holes in it.

Of course it all started back in June when my wife got breast cancer. She had her operation and got better and stronger, and she is now looking forward to a lovely dose of chemotherapy and radiation treatment that starts this week. It is normal for cancer patients to be given chemo, of course, even though Annie's case is relatively minor.

But naturally I couldn't help worrying for her, and that was probably why I ploughed into the back of a Toyota Hilux last month. That little episode, although it didn't cost me much financially, has made my life extremely inconvenient, as my car had to go to the workshop to have the dents undented.

And unlike in many other countries, the workshop doesn't give me a complimentary car so that I can carry on with my life and do my job like everyone else. Oh no. I have to use the wife's little ATOS which, for a big man of my size, is a bit like trying to drive one of those fairground dodgem cars except this one has a roof which my head keeps brushing against. Also, I have to push the driver's seat right back to accommodate my legs and stop them from developing deep vein thrombosis every time I get in the car!

And of course, because we are now temporarily a one car family again, this makes life hard for my niece, who needs to go to school every day, and it makes paying bills and going to the shops a logistical challenge. This makes me feel guilty and stupid for hitting that $%#@ing Toyota Hilux in the first place.

AND, to make matters even more exciting, the air conditioner in my office at work has died, plunging my office into stifling tropical heat. I find it hard to work or concentrate on anything because it's so hot. And I'm fasting of course, so there's no hope of water.

AND, my office computer hard disk went away for repairs the other say and when it came back after three days, I couldn't access the internet!

AND, the ATOS has developed a leaking fuel pipe and has required an air conditioner overhaul.

AND the tap in my bathroom at home is broken, and I need to change the strip light in the bathroom.

AND the air conditioner company haven't got any compressors in stock, so I will have to sweat and swelter in my office for another few days while my work piles up....

All I can say is, what could possibly go wrong next? An earthquake? A tsunami? An assassination attempt? Bring it on!!

The only light at the end of the tunnel is that my car will be ready on Thursday. I just hope that I can take my wife to hospital to have her chemotherapy.

God, I need my pills!! Where are my pills?!?!?

No comments: